This is a quick guide on how to setup Facebook for a Business which is obviously different to how an individual would! Its very basic and quick to do so if you are currently using your personal Facebook account for business then take a read below for a much better way to do this.
As you may know creating a Facebook user profile for a business is a definite no no (well in our opinion anyhow); Indeed most of the functionality you require is missing but can be found in the Facebook page concept.
A Facebook page, or business or fan page, is a Facebook area which can be used to promote and offer information about your business. If you have used Facebook then you will no doubt have seen all the pages, from everything from quotes, to artists, all the way through to national retail and fast food outlets.
As a good example of how to use your Facebook page for internet or web marketing we would ask you to take a look at the Malaysian McDonald’s Facebook page.
The main reason’s that we picked this Facebook page were twofold. The first reason is because the service was excellent when we used it whilst in KL Malaysia. Especially the McDelivery service which is unavailable here in the UK.
The second reason is because this outlet has used their Facebook page very well in terms of marketing both online and physical; notice how many fans they have all around the World which is the main point here.
In order to create your new business Facebook page you will first have to create a user profile. By doing this it gives you access to a link (top right) to ‘create a new page’.
After clicking this link you will be taking to a page where you can enter information about your business, as well as confirm you are legally allowed to use this.
Once you have completed these steps you will then be able to enter information about your business, products and services into your new Facebook page.
And now the bit that trips most people up! You have setup your new Facebook page and now you want something like, facebook.com/uk.mybiz (where mybiz is your business name). Okay in order to get this text URL you will need to adhere to the follow guidelines as layed down by Facebook.
- You need to be admin of the Facebook page in question
- It would seem that you will also need a verified Facebook account
- You will also need to be 100% sure of your business name as once it is set, you can never change it
Please note that Facebook sets the following restrictions on your Facebook page so if you have trouble signing up then take a look at the list below.
- Create a user-name that is as close as possible to your public figure or business name (e.g. Chris.Kirk.UK, My.McDonalds)
- If you own the rights to a given name (Worldwide), then make it your Facebook User-name and Business Page so that others cannot obtain it. However if you only own it locally (e.g. the trademark) then make sure you pull it into context. A good example of this is Malaysian McDonald’s as given above)
- Note that Facebook User-names can only contain alphanumeric characters (A-Z, 0-9) or a period (“.”)
- Choose a Facebook user-name that you will be happy with for the long term. As stated above, User-names are not changeable
- Your user-name must adhere to Facebook’s Statement of Rights and Responsibilities (so if you are running an SME company, or are just very web savvy, then it would be worth getting a lawyer to make sure everything is in order)